Thursday 5 May 2016

Clock Killing Guide


This guide is for use only with the Mage Class, and only for those mages who have the Firewall skill.

The Basics-

-What is a Clock?
A Clock is a monster which spawns in level 2 of the Clock Tower in Al De Baran. Which is just north of the Kafra in the middle of town. It is a very large monster, and is easily distinguished upon sight.

-Things to Know
Clocks are Cast Detectors and are not Aggressive, which serves to your advantage. It also means that once you cast upon them with an enemy-directed skill they will fight back, which will work to your advantage as opposed to passive type.

-What do I need?
I started Clocks with about 60 Int (Bless from the Aco you'll see in some of these pics.) You will need a high level Firewall and a level 4-6 Firebolt (explained later.)

-Why I even considered making this guide
I have been running around in CT2 for a few days now, and have noticed many people killing Clocks in a horribly inefficient manner. Many of them died soon after they began their assault because it did not work correctly. I, too did not know what I was doing when I began Clocks, but I slowly figured it out (okay, I copied some other mages I saw).
I feel you should know too.

How to start-
-First off, you need to find a Clock, preferably one not surrounded by Punks, Ridewords or Mimics, because this WILL mess you up.
-Get near the Clock.


I am the Mage with the Hardhat looking thing on the left with the Mr. Smile. The thing on the right, is a Clock. The other person is my friend.

Now that you are near the clock, don't just begin assaulting it with things because more likely than not, it will annihilate you. Instead, wait for it to move and stop, while following it.


Now you'll notice this is a different spot and angle. I did this so I could take better screenies, don't worry about that. This is about the position you'll want after it finishes it's movement.

At this point, it really helps to have learned VFW well. You're going to cast one to the side of your self that the clock is closest to. In that last pic, that would be my left side, as illustrated here.


You'll notice I also moved down one square after casting the VFW. You'll want to move one to two squares in the opposite direction of the Clock, following the VFW. If that part made no sense, don't worry, I'll explain more later. In any case, I moved down one square.

Now is the key part. While the Clock is still in that same position, you need to cast Firebolt on it. I say Firebolt because Clocks are weak vs. Fire, and you should already have it.


This will lure the Clock into the wall, thus knocking him back and forth several times hitting the Firewall. Once Firebolt finishes casting, there are a few things you can do.
Option A: If you have 90+ Int, you can risk it and cast Firebolt once more (Level 6 only please. I've found that 5 is not enough to do this and 7 takes too long to cast two of them. My mage at that point had 103 Int total.)
Option B: Back up one more square and cast another VFW. Then Firebolt the Clock. Repeat this step until it dies. You can use a higher level Firebolt here if you want.

As long as you keep a safe distance, and keep barraging it, the Clock should fall fairly quickly. If other enemies interfere, run like hell. There is no way to save this besides running and casting Fwall to block the Clock and other enemy, but I won't go into that since it's very dependent on the situation.

These same basic steps can be applied for a horizontal kill, you just need to not be standing on the same level as the Clock is, since you can't cast VFW on top of yourself.

I know this may be confusing for some of you, and that's okay. Just practice. You'll see many people doing this; just try it out and get a feel for it. If you're still having trouble and are on the Chaos server, feel free to message me on Shoat or PM me here and I'll demonstrate it for you when I have time.

What I failed to mention before-
-I only have 21 dex in these pics. 9 is fine, it doesn't matter too much.
-Also, the insane damage cluster you see in the last pic comes from a bouncing effect. I'll explain further; the clock was lured to the middle pillar as opposed to the top pillar like what normally happens. It wears down there middle pillar, and starts on the front pillar(the one closest to you.) This bounces it back into the farthest pillar. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes the farthest pillar will bounce it back to the front pillar, rinse and repeat. This has no real effect on the process.



The new stuff-
Elder- A very fun monster. If you're a Mage, don't even try it. He has insane int and mDef, and also casts FB, FD, and LB. He also appears to have a level of a freecast(attacking). Luckily, he's only a Cast Detector, so just stay away and you'll be fine.

Drops- With Niffle, Clock Hands are somewhat valuable. Not omghaxx0rsIgibj00secks godly, but I'd easily pay 400-500z per. Alarm mask is just so cool. Also, I haven't seen a UG Key drop from Clocks yet. I've had 5 CT Keys, but it could just be luck of the roll. Also, Clocks seem to have something like a .01% chance to drop Apples.

Aggressiveness- Well, the theories still seem to remain unproven, but some hold more merit than others. A big cause of Aggro Clocks is HP. When they get low HP, it seems that some of them take on an Aggressive status in the case that the person who was fighting it had to leave (ie. tele or die.) I have seen Clocks spawn Aggro, and I have seen Clocks turn Aggro for no explainable reason at all. This also seems to apply to the Tower Keeper now.

The map:
I have gone ahead and marked places where the dungeon is usually mobbed. Obviously this varies a lot, but most of the places not circled have high traffic.



Beware of the upper right corner though under the pipes. It's hard to set up for a Clock and there are hidden dangers there that may put you out of commission.

Random notes
After a bit of testing, you actually can cast VFWs on yourself. I don't suggest it though because you will need a perfect position as opposed to having the slack I have provided with this guide.

Clocks do seem, on occasion, to phase through your wall after a few hits from it. When/if this happens, promptly Wing away, because more likely than not, you WILL die. (Your firewall also seems to disappear on occasion.)

Once you Int is high enough (recommended 90+), try switching to Firebolt level 10 instead of 6. You will more than likely be able to kill Clocks and Punks with one VFW + one Firebolt 10 each. While the cast time may be an issue, the VFW will hold them off long enough to cast it, even at very low dex. A flaw with going to Firebolt 10, would be the random spawns that proceed to attack and interrupt you. Firebolt 10 will make this seem to happen more, but it seems worth it to me so far. If it's a Punk, and you can tank 2-3 hits from it, back up in the same direction the VFW is pointing, away from the Clock you were handling. Go in a straight path, set up a VFW for the Punk, and FBolt it. If the Clock is not dead, it will probably follow you, so hopefully you cast the VFW on the Clock's side too. If a Rideword or Mimic attacks, Wing away, you have almost no chance to escape that situation.

Killing Clocks used to be an insane way to make money, but with Key prices dropping dramactically, it is not so great anymore, although, it's still good. In 7 days of Clock killing I amassed 63 Elunium, which sell well at 80k, so it's not a bad life. Also, if you have a merchant with OC, the regular loot is insanely expensive for NPCs.

Questions? Comments? Criticism?-
-Please post it. If you have a valid criticism, that would be preferred. Also, if I left anything out and anyone can tell me what it is, I can try to fix the post later.

Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment