Thursday 5 May 2016

The Super Novice PVP-type guide


Super Novice: PvP Type Guide

Chapter I: Introduction.

This guide is devoted entirely for the benefit of Super Novice. I apologize if it does not look like the typical guide where it will tell you where to put stat points and skill points, because we already have that in abundance. This guide will deal with the practical side of being a Super Novice.

Most of the things you will find here, you will not see anywhere else, because the things you will find here were based on actual RO experience, and were discovered while in the process of being a Super Novice. You will learn a lot about an SN here that you haven’t read anywhere else. I know that this is a pretty long guide, and can be tiresome to read, but I can guarantee you that after you finished reading this guide; you will have a different outlook and perspective about a Super Novice.

Chapter II: About my Super Novice.

I have read a lot of Faqs about SNs. While some are helpful, some are not, but most are informative. My SN is a level 80 SN, named popolocroix that can be found in Chaos server, pRO. I built my stats for PVP, and that's the bottom line. Humility aside, I am a popular SN, coz I am ultra aggressive and I CAN KILL OTHER JOBS, all by myself. No party, no support priests... just me, your nice little neighborhood SN. I spend more time in PVP than leveling up. I am very aggressive in PVP, and most of the time I die. Sound pathetic eh? Not really coz the joy you will gain when, from time to time, you kill other jobs will be just awesome. I'm not going to influence your idea for the stats of your beloved SN, I'm just going to tell you my experience in PVP.

Chapter III: The Most Important Thing an SN Needs…

First of all you must have a lot of money. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Money to buy stuffs, gears, and most of all pots. If you want your name to be remembered in PVP, you must be able to stand on your own, and prove your mettle, only then will your name be immortalized for all eternity, har-har-har!! Others must know that you’re tough, you must amaze them. If you can do that, they will remember you. Most of the time my SN is overweight because I always carry around 150 yellow pots. You’re going to burn lots and lots of pots in order to withhold an onslaught.

Chapter IV: Equipments.

Next you must have the right gears. I assume you know about this, so I will not elaborate anymore, but let me tell you a secret… I’m only wearing mediocre stuffs.

Chapter V: My Build Revealed.

Now here’s the fun part. I’m sure you’re very curious as to what build I have. I’m a pure Agi baby. No Vit whatsoever. YOU DON’T NEED IT!! At level 80, my Str is 60, 36 Dex, and all goes to Agi, which is 91. Many naysayer will say too much Agi, too little Vit will make you frail like an old lady, etc, etc. While this may be true to other jobs, it is not with Agi type SN. I have a tried and tested Agi SN; I am talking from experience, so I hope you’ll listen. Anyway, I’m going to tell you later the main reason why you wouldn’t need Vit.

Chapter VI: Most Significant Skills an SN Needs.

Here are the most significant skills you will need: Double attack 10, Increased dodge 10, some heal, at least level 1 Increased Agi for speedy walking, some SP recovery or not if you’re rich and can buy blue pots instead, Mammonite 10, some Improve Concentration, and at least Frost Diver level 3. You heard it right, the almighty Frost Diver.

Chapter VII: The Way of the Super Novice:

How to Fight and Win inside PvP.

In PvP, I rarely bully others whom I know I can win easily over like first jobs, acolytes, merchants, etc. I prefer to fight other jobs, especially those who are, presumably, stronger than me like Lord Knights, Wizards, Monks, Hunters, etc. Fighting them and killing them is where you will gain recognition. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter if you win. Even if you lose but put up a good fight, they will remember you. Your name will be etched unto their silly brain.

Combo 1: This is my combo FD + Mammonite. I’m proud to say that I’m the first to have this combo. This is a very effective combo especially to Agi type opponents whom you know you can’t hit ordinarily. I have another combo, but it doesn’t work most of the time. I’ll tell you guys later.

This is how you should do your combo, you must freeze your opponent first, then Mammonite him. Here’s another secret, use a Very Very Strong Wind Stiletto when you Mammo a frozen opponent. The element of the weapon will affect Mammonite. My SN uses a Very Very Strong Wind Scimitar, which was specially made by a blacksmith at a very stiff price. At that time, I didn’t know that in PVP, weapon size is not applicable, so I bought a scimitar, which was a waste of money. Go with a VVS Wind Stiletto. Immediately switch to a x3 Andre card +10 Stiletto, or x3 Zipper Bear card +10 Stiletto after the initial Mammo with the Wind Stiletto, and keep spamming Mammo. If you’re fighting an Agi type, repeat the process; freeze then Mammonite. Just remember that if your Mammonite is not making sufficient damage, which is about 500 up (mine sometimes do as much as 1300 per Mammo, I once made 1.9k of damage to a frozen Sinx wearing Ghostring armor, I don’t know how elemental weapons affect Ghostring card, sorry) stop it because your opponent has too much Def. After all, an SN can only do much. You must know when to pick a fight, and know when you’ve been beaten. Also, the Zipper Bear stiletto is not a practical weapon to use because it will drain your SP. You must have a Hurricane Stiletto for everyday use.

Combo 2: Another combo I have is FD + Warp Portal. Freeze your opponent, put a portal under him, and break the ice with Mammonite. I must warn you though that it rarely works, but when it does, oh yeah, it is pure joy. When Transcendent characters first came to our server, I was able to use this combo to a poor High Priestess who was very tough that everybody was mobbing her, but can’t kill her. She was taken by surprise and was shocked. People will be awed whenever you pull this off.

Combo 3: Another one is the FD + Warp Portal + Magnum Break combo. With this technique, you can beat almost any character. Sure you did not kill your enemy, but you defeated them nonetheless, and sent them to far away places. This Warp portal technique will gain you many enemies, but for me this is what PVP is all about. Fighting Rocks!!!

Combo 4: Another one is putting Warp Portal baits. Put a warp portal directly in front of you, but do not activate it yet. Sit down and wait for someone to attack you, if you time it right, and while the character is taking a swing at you, activate the portal and send the moron to Never Never land. He deserves it. Many have fallen prey to this technique, especially in the center of PvP room Prontera.

Chapter VIII: The Super Novice’s Best Friend.

Now, here’s the reason why you don’t need Vit… M-E-N-T-A-L S-T-R-E-N-G-T-H. Mental strength is your best friend. This will make you more formidable than most Vit characters. Also, this is the reason why you don’t really need to over upgrade your equipments if you don’t have the money. This is free and works all the time. No gems, no quest. Free as a bee.

This is what Mental Strength can do for you. YOU CAN SURVIVE Asura. Did I hear somebody say 20k Asura damage? Pffttt!! Piece of cake.

Mental Strength is automatically casted ONCE, every time your HP reaches 0. So it means that you double your life. Say you’re in PVP and a person attacked you, your HP is zero, but instead of dying, you will regain all your HP, plus your DEF and MDEF is fix at 90. Isn’t that cool or what? Mental strength is achieved if your exp. is 99.9%. It will last for about 5 minutes. I suggest that you only go to PVP when you have Mental Strength so that you’ll be tougher, because in my experience, people auto attacks SN in PVP. Signs of insecurity perhaps?

When an SN has 99.9% exp, he will have unlimited Steel Body access in PVP. He can go to PVP, have SB, die, then return back to PVP, have SB again, then die again. It has no limit. After a period of time, Steel Body won’t activate anymore. I suggest that you fight a monster and let him kill you so you will lose 1% exp and have 98.9%. Just level up again to have 99.9% exp, and SB will be accessible again. Easy eh?

The only drawback of Mental Strength is you can’t use any skills, and also your walking speed is halved. Even if casted with Increase Agi or Wind Walk, your speed will not change. Your walking will feel like crawling. You will be very slow. Your attack speed will also be affected. This is why Magic-based SNs will not benefit very much with Mental Strength, because when they’re in this mode they can’t use any skills. All they can do is walk around, while on the other hand, Str based SN can still attack anybody, make agreeable damage and kill a Wizard or two.

Chapter IX: A Super Novice Can Survive Asura and More…

These are some of the most significant attacks that you can withstand while under Mental Strength: Asura, Spiral Pierce, Double Strafe, Jupiter Thunder or any magical attacks like Lord of Vermillion and Storm Gust, Grand Cross, Holy Cross, Backstab, Mammonite, Arrow Vulcan, etc. etc.









My SN is level 80, but a glowing level 99 High Wizard can Jupiter Thunder me all he want until he runs out of SP, but he won’t kill me. Cool isn’t’ it? Under Mental Strength and with about 1500 HP, a level 99 High Wizard will only take about half of my HP with JT. I can just keep healing myself and laugh. I can survive two High Wizards that is simultaneously JT-ing me.



A level 99 Whitesmith needs several Mammonites to take care of me, and unless he stuns me, I can just keep healing myself with every Mammonite. In Steel body mode and while stunned, a level 99 Whitesmith only makes about 200-400 damage per Mammonite. I can survive a whole party’s barrage, but with exceptions of course. What’s a few pots compared to the RESPECT you will earn.

Chapter X: Sadly, a Super Novice is prone to…

Now, here’s the exception. You will instantly die even with Mental Strength when attacked with Falcon Attack, Soul Destroyer, Sacrifice, Infiltrator (it will take 2-3 Infiltrator when not in SB mode) etc. When in SB mode, an SN is very prone to the weapon Icepick. You will also take considerable damage from crit attacks like Blitz Beat. Pneuma will also save you from other range attacks like Soul Destroyer. So I suggest that you get Pneuma to counter some of these attacks.

Another good thing about being pure Agi and having Mental Strength at the same time is that most melee attacks will not hit you, because in case you’ve forgotten your Agi is 92 and under SB mode Def and Mdef is fixed at 90. It’s like having 90 of Agi, Vit, and Int. Yay!! But in case the attack connects, it will only do very, very minimal damage. I can go head to head with a Berserk spear wielding Lord Knight who has trillions of HP, but it won’t matter, because he can hardly damage me. I have slain many. I can go 1 on 1 with High Wizards 20 levels my senior. First jobs are no match. I’m sure you’re excited right now.

The only characters I really hate are crit types. Sadly, they’re SNs weakness. My former Guild GM is a crit Perma Novice, and I lose to him all the time. Crit assasins can easily kill me. Don’t even think going toe to toe with a Crit knight, you’ll be dead faster than you can say, “I give up!”

The reason an SN die very easily with crits are because SNs have very low HP. Mine at level 80, has only a total of 1500 HP including HP boosting gears. Without gears I think it only has 300 HP or so, but I’m not sure. So be forewarned to keep away from crit-types as much as possible.

There yah go!! My secrets revealed. Now go and make your very own SN! Good Luck and never forget me, the name is popolocroix.

P.S.: If you’re looking for more tips and tactics regarding an SN, read the whole thread. There are contributions as to how to make a better SN, not only for Agi types but for Int types as well. I also have other tips for PvP and for WoE in succeeding pages.

2 comments: